Thursday 11 December 2014

Governors Were Behind My 3rd Term Agenda --Obasanjo

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo, yesterday, for the first time
opened up on the third term agenda in the twilight of his two-term
presidency, accusing some Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, governors of
being behind the third term project because they were going to benefit
from it.

At the launch of his autobiography titled: 'My Watch', at the Lagos
Country Club, Ikeja, Obasanjo denied seeking a third term but admitted
he knew about it.

Obasanjo, who said he was not afraid of telling the truth, insisted
that everything he wrote in the book was true.

"People say that it was obvious that I wanted a third term and I ask
those who say I was behind the third term to bring concrete evidence
to prove that I spearheaded it. I have presented evidence in my book
that proves that I was not behind it, even though I knew about it.
Some governors were the ones behind it because they felt the governors
would benefit from it. If people say that it was obvious that I wanted
a third term, they should present concrete evidence to the public that
I am telling a lie. I have evidence to prove that everything I wrote
is true and anyone that feels otherwise should present concrete
evidence to prove his point.

"Third term was not my agenda or intention although I would not say I
didn't know about it. I didn't mastermind third term. Those who were
telling me to go on were the governors that were going to benefit from
it," he said.

Dignitaries at the book launch yesterday were former Vice-Chancellor
of the University of Lagos, Ibidapo Obe, former Minister of Education
and former VP of the World Bank, Oby Ezekwesili, Prof. Olu Akinkugbe
and several others.

No comments:

Post a Comment