Thursday 18 September 2014

Jonathan Accepts PDP's Adoption, Says I'm Really Humbled

AHEAD of his formal declaration for his return bid and the Party's
National Convention fixed for December 6, the National Executive
Committee, NEC of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP Thursday adopted
President Goodluck Jonathan as the party's sole Presidential candidate
for 2015 Presidential election.

Rising from its 66th NEC meeting Thursday at Wadata Plaza, National
Secretariat of the Party, the party's highest body explained that the
move became imperative because no serious party would change a winning
team like President Jonathan who has performed with his transformation
agenda which has changed the face and well being of Nigerians.

As a preclude to the adoption of President Jonathan by NEC, yesterday,
Governor of Niger State and Chairman, Northern States Governors'
Forum, NSGF, Muazu Babangida Aliyu who spoke first and on behalf of
all the PDP governors told NEC members that at the meeting of the
governors held on Wednesday at the Akwa Ibom Governor's Lodge,
Asokoro, the governors had unanimously adopted endorsed President
Jonathan as the party's sole candidate for next year's election
without any dissenting voice.

Meanwhile, President Goodluck Jonathan who accepted the endorsement as
the sole candidate by all the organs of the party which culminated in
that of NEC, said that he was really humbled, overwhelmed and promised
not to disappoint the PDP governors, the leaders, stakeholders and
members of the party.

He said, "Let me really say that the events of yesterday, starting
with BoT meeting last night and what has just happened today, with the
various motions adopting me as sole candidate of the party has really
humbled me.

"Let me specially thank our governors that initiated that action, let
me thank members of BoT, let me thank the senate president and members
of the National Assembly, let me appreciate the PDP women for their
position and the NEC, because no matter whatever anybody does, if NEC,
you will be on your own.

" Adopting me as the sole candidate of the party has humbled. me; I am
totally overwhelmed. When the governors came up in a jointly signed
paper, though House of Representatives started it, governors
intervention was like an atomic bomb, I commend all departments of the
NEC.

"I am so overwhelmed that I lack words to express myslef. I leave it
for another day. For today, for you to have that kind of confidence, I
am extremely challenged. It means that whatever we had done inthe past
three years, we tripple it. That is the only way Nigerians will
appreciate it. I promise I will not disappoint you."

No comments:

Post a Comment