Tuesday 3 November 2015

I Believe I’m Better Than Messi – Cristiano Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't believe trophies have any impact in deciding
who's the best player in the world, proclaiming he's better than
Barcelona superstar and Ballon d'Or rival Lionel Messi.

Real Madrid's all-time leading goalscorer spoke to Spanish newspaper
El Pais back in August, in an interview withheld until now to promote
his upcoming documentary. Jesus Balseiro of AS translated his views on
Messi's success:

It doesn't bother me. If you look back over my past eight years, I've
always been at the peak; and that is difficult. Name me someone else
who has done it? After that, being No.1 or No.2 is a matter of small
details, such as if you win trophies or not. Perhaps for you, Messi is
the best; in my head, I am the best – and everyone should think that
about ourselves. That is why I have been able to achieve so much in my
career.
It was hard for me to watch Messi picking up several Ballon d'Ors. I'd
be thinking: "Why should I go to the gala?"
Barcelona may be thriving as a team, but Ronaldo has been proving
himself with individual accolades of late. After surpassing Raul as
Real Madrid's top scorer earlier this term, he's now honing in on
another goal record.

"I am not the humblest person in the world, I admit that. I am not
fake. But in one way I am very humble. I like to learn.

I don't mind people hating me, because it pushes me. When I go to play
away, they are always against me, but it's good. You have to see the
good things from the haters. I need the enemy. It is part of the
business. They start screaming when I touch the ball. It had started
already when I was 18 or 19. It is not a problem for me."

Messi, on the other hand, is seen as a far more humble creature, one
who prefers to stay out of the spotlight despite his unparalleled
quality on the pitch.

Recently, a poll of 20 Brasilerao Serie A coaches were asked if they'd
rather sign Messi or Ronaldo given the chance. Despite Brazil's
historic rivalry with Argentina, Messi took 75% of the votes.

No comments:

Post a Comment