Sunday 18 October 2015

Why EFCC Quizzed Me — Senator Akpabio

The immediate former Governor of Akwa Ibom Stateand Senate Minority
Leader, Senator Godswill Akpabio, has returned to the Economic and
Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, for more questioning after he was
allowed to go home Friday night.

Mr. Akpabio, arrived the EFCC at 11.45 am Saturday, accompanied by his
counsel and Senior Advocate of Nigeria, SAN, Rickey Tarfa and some
aides.
As soon as the former governor arrived at the commission, he was moved
into the interrogation room, a source who pleaded not to be named
because he is not authorised to speak on the issue, told our
correspondent.
Mr. Rickey Tarfa and aides to the former governor watched helplessly
as the anti-graft operatives led Mr. Akpabio away.
Our source also hinted that the former governor might spend the day
with the commission.
He is still been interrogated by crack detectives of the commission as
at the time of filling this report.
Mr. Akpabio was quizzed by the anti-graft agency on Friday afternoon.
He was, however, allowed to go home late in the night but asked to
report to the commission today (Saturday).
Shortly after he regained his freedom, Mr. Akpabio had given insight
into why he was interrogated for several hours by EFCC operatives.

Speaking with our correspondent shortly after he left the EFCC
headquarters late on Friday night, Mr. Akpabio admitted that he was
summoned by the anti-graft body to respond to several allegations of
corruption against him.
He however said he was not arrested, but that he honoured the
commission's invitation voluntarily.
"A young lawyer from my state has been petitioning the EFCC accusing
me of corruption," the former governor said. "So shortly before I got
involved in an accident in August, the EFCC summoned me to come and
respond to the allegations.
"But following the accident, I wasn't well enough to honour the EFCC
summon. And I let them know.
"So today, since I'm now well, and the Senate did not sit, I decided
to honour the EFCC so as to answer questions concerning the
allegations against me.

"I wasn't arrested. I walked in there myself and now I'm back at home.
The EFCC operatives were professional. They asked questions, and I
answered."
Mr. Akpabio insisted the allegations against him were false, saying
"those making the allegations do not understand how government works".

The former governor, who is now Senate Minority Leader, said the
lawyer who dragged him to the EFCC submitted at least four different
petitions, and that it would take a while for him to respond to each
of the allegations.
"So I will return to the EFCC again as necessary," he said.
Mr. Akpabio added, "I am a law-abiding citizen, and whenever I'm
summoned to answer questions about how I served my people, I will
always respond.
"I urge everyone who has served in public office not to be afraid to
explain what they did and how they served."

-DailyTimes

No comments:

Post a Comment