Wednesday 1 April 2015

Full Text Of General Muhammadu Buhari's Acceptance Speech

1. First of all, I wish to express my gratitude to the Chairman and
members of the Convention Committee for planning and conducting a
hitch-free convention. The same appreciation goes to the chairmen of
National and State Executive Councils of our party. Thank you very
much for doing an excellent job.

2. I would like to pay tribute to Chief Bisi Akande the first chairman
of APC and his National Executive for managing the party in its early
stages.

3. I also wish to commend Lagos State Government and state party for
hosting this convention. Time was when people feared to come to Lagos.
Today, Lagos is the cleanest and dare I say safest city in Nigeria.
This achievement is due to the leadership and strength of purpose of
Asiwaju Bola Tinubu and Chief Babatunde Fashola the two Governors
since 1999 and their team of professionals for this wonderful
transformation Nigeria greets you!

4. The outcome of the presidential primaries of the All Progressives
Congress is a demonstration of democracy at work. It is testimony to
the fact that democracy as a concept is greater than the interests of
individuals in a free and functional political system. What has just
happened is not about winning or losing but about the triumph of
liberty, freedom of choice and association, which are hallmarks of
democracy.

5. To my fellow contestants; Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, Governor Rabiu
Musa Kwankwaso, Owelle Rochas Okorocha and Mr. Sam Nda Isaiah, I wish
to thank you for putting up a good fight. The keenly contested
primaries we just had will help to strengthen our party and democracy,
and ultimately send our message to Nigerian voters in the impending
elections.

6. To you all, I pay my absolute compliments and congratulate you on
the success of your respective campaigns. I extend my gratitude to you
all for accepting the outcome of this convention and agreeing to
support my candidature as we move forward. I shall meet with you all
in the coming days to fashion out how we shall confront the challenge
ahead.

7. My dear fellow countrymen and women, it is with a deep sense of
humility that I stand before you today to accept the nomination of my
party, the All Progressives Congress to be its candidate and
flag-bearer in 2015 presidential elections.

8. My nomination is not because I am better than any of the other
contestants. I see it as a tribute and mark of confidence to carry the
torch as we all join hands to rescue our dear country Nigeria, from
those who have led us into the current state of insecurity, poverty,
sectarian divide and hopelessness among our people.

9. I stand before you today to ask that you join me in a common cause.
My call to you is not to realise the personal fulfilment of one man.
This Common Cause is nothing less than the love for our nation and
concern for its present condition; and a resolve to make things better
for Nigeria.

10. What I say today is for all Nigerians: Christian and Muslim,
Southern and Northern, rich and poor, young and old, man and woman. We
are all citizens of Nigeria. There is no dividing line among us that I
care to honour. Either we advance as one or fail altogether.

11. My choice and my colleagues' choice and wish are that we progress
together. Preserving the nation's future is a scared obligation to all
of us in this party. Leaders should be wholly committed to fulfilling
this obligation otherwise they have no business being leaders.

12. Sadly, the current administration does not believe in this
obligation. By their actions they are leading us to calamity.

13. At International Conferences, the Nigerian delegation is usually
among the largest but at the same time the least effective. Our
president should have the status and the voice of Africa's largest
nation. But in political influence we are among the weakest.

14. Shall we at home continue to live in a condition where the Power
Holding Company and its successors seem only to have the power to hold
us in darkness?

Read the rest at CodedGist:
http://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2F1EE6gE2&h=FAQEC2rcs&s=1

No comments:

Post a Comment