Wednesday 9 September 2015

Wayne Rooney Becomes England's All-time Leading Goalscorer

Wayne Rooney has hailed his achievement in becoming England's all-time
leading goalscorer as possibly the greatest moment of his career.

Rooney grabbed his 50th goal for his country with an 84th-minute
penalty in the 2-0 Euro 2016 qualifying win over Switzerland at
Wembley.

Rooney told ITV: 'It's right up there, if not the best. To be the
country's all-time leading goalscorer before the age of 30 is not
something I could ever have dreamed of and I'm extremely proud
tonight.

'I was a bit emotional out there and it's something to be extremely
proud of. I'm happy it's done and hopefully I can kick on from here
and concentrate on the team and our success in the future.'

Rooney slammed his spot-kick past Swiss keeper Yann Sommer after
Raheem Sterling was fouled in the box before being congratulated by
his delighted team-mates.

Rooney added: 'I knew myself it was a big moment for me and I just
picked my corner and put my boot through it to get as much power as
possible and make it hard for the keeper. He got a touch but
thankfully it had too much power.

'I went through a spell around 2008 when I didn't score for two years
for England, and since Roy's (manager Roy Hodgson) come in I've scored
a lot of goals and I'm grateful to Roy for letting me play with the
freedom that I enjoy.'

No comments:

Post a Comment