Saturday 2 August 2014

I have not worn earrings for five years -Yvonne Nelson

Popular Ghanaian actress, Yvonne Nelson, tells Ademola Olonilua about
her fashion and style

How did you get into acting?

It is a funny story actually. Sometime ago, I went to buy food
somewhere close to where a movie audition was taking place. I had
placed my order earlier but the food was taking so long, so I decided
to wait in the car. When I was going back to take my order, a guy
named Abdul stopped me and asked if I had written down my name. I
didn't know what he was talking about, so he explained it was a movie
audition. I told him I came for something else. Van Vicker was also
there for the audition and when the guy saw me talking to Van, he
later got my number from him and called me. When I met him, he was on
set, then, he gave me a script and that was how I started acting.

What was your life ambition when you were much younger?

I was into music when I was young and I listened to a lot of songs
daily. I actually thought I would go into music. So, for me,
entertaining people started at an early age. In school, I was always
on stage whenever there was an event and everybody knew me as a
musician right from my primary school to secondary. When people saw me
at Miss Ghana pageant, they were surprised especially because I was
dressed like a girl. I was always on stage acting like a tomboy.

At what point did you stop being a tomboy and began acting like a girl?

I would say it was when I went for Miss Ghana pageant. I won the Best
Talent category with my rap when I was asked to showcase my talent. I
had to stop being a tomboy because we were always wearing shoes with
high heels and dresses; there was no choice for me because I had to
wear them. The grooming during the competition changed me.

What was your experience during the beauty pageant?

I was very young and still a teenager as of that time. I was still
writing exams to get into the university and it was very challenging
for me. I was the youngest among the contestants and it changed a lot
of things about me.

Who influenced you to go for the pageant?

My best friend, Karen Okata, convinced me. Somehow, people always
convince me to do some things. She told me she saw a competition on
the television about Miss Ghana audition and that I should go for it
instead of wasting my height. I declined initially because I was a
little chubby and slightly curvy. Eventually I went for it and I was
told to work on my shape, and that if I was lucky, they would audition
me during the zonal stage and if I passed, I would be among the final
20 girls for the main event. I decided to give it a try and I began
working on my diet, grooming myself by walking in shoes with high
heels.

How tall are you?

I am precisely 6 feet.

Does your height intimidate men around you?

A lot of people get intimidated even when I am shooting on set. Some
of my colleagues complain a lot about my height. Anytime I wear high
heeled shoes, it is like a problem because if I am being paired with
people I am taller than and I wear shoes with high heels, it makes
them uncomfortable. A lot of people get intimidated, guys get
intimidated.

What influences your style?

Nothing influences my style; I just wake up and wear anything. I have
a shop as well. My fans inspired me to open a shop. I have a lot of
clothes and I just pick any of them when going out. I know what looks
good on me, what complements my body and how to play around with what
I wear. I don't really follow trends. If I like the clothe and my
stomach does not look too big in it, why wouldn't I wear it? As far as
you are happy with how you look, that is the most important thing. The
way you look actually boosts your confidence level.

How come you do not have any tattoos or extra piercings on your body?

I don't even like wearing earrings. I haven't worn any earrings for
about five years. I can wear them in a movie but I'm not a fan. I
don't think it adds any extra beauty to a girl. I just don't like it,
it makes me feel uncomfortable and as if I'm overdressed. It makes my
face look busy and I don't like it. I like jewellery; I love wrist
watches and rings too. I do not have any tattoo mainly because of the
pain. I believe I have a beautiful skin, imagine how I always brag
about my legs and I put a tattoo on it, why would I do that? I would
not mind getting a tattoo, writing my mother's first name somewhere on
my body but it is just not my style. It is not something I think
about. I see it on people and some of them are really nice because it
is artistic.

PUNCH

No comments:

Post a Comment