Saturday 9 August 2014

Doctors' Strike: NMA President Resigns Amid Controversy

As a fallout of the logjam over the decision to suspend the one
month strike or maintain the status quo, President of Nigeria Medical
Association, NMA, Dr Kayode Obembe, Friday resigned his post,
following the controversy that trailed the decision.

Obembe, who was not available for confirmation, however wrote to
affiliates organs of the NMA resigning his post as President.

Obembe in the said letter addressed to all affiliate organs of the
body, stated that "there has been request for clarification about the
two postings from the NMA blog. I want to make it categorically clear
that I stand by every letter of the document I signed -"the strike was
suspended," and since upon my integrity and honour, I cannot continue
to drive the doctrine that 'strike continues', I hereby tender my
letter of resignation as NMA President.
"What I have written, I have written."

But few hours after Obembe's letter, the NMA's Secretary General,
Adewunmi Anayaki in dramatic twist allegedly forwarded a letter to
the affiliate organs asking them to ignore Obembe's resignation.

No comments:

Post a Comment