Saturday 9 August 2014

Girl swept by tsunami reunites with family 10 years after

An Indonesian girl has been reunited with her family 10 years after
she was swept away by the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami,Daily Mailreports.

Raudhatul Jannah, four-year-old at the time and her seven-year-old
brother were separated from their parents while holding onto a
floating piece of wood in the tsunami waters, when it hit her West
Aceh home on December 26, 2004.

Jannah's mother, Jamaliah, 42, and her husband survived and searched
for their children, but stopped after one month, believing the
children were dead in the devastating tsunami that shook the entire
region.

In June, Jamaliah's brother spotted a girl who bore a resemblance to
Jannah walking home from school and made inquiries about her.

He discovered that she had been swept from Aceh in the tsunami a
decade ago to remote islands southwest of the province. The girl was
rescued by a fisherman who took her home to his mother who named her
Weni and raised her all these years.

Jamaliah and her husband visited the inland town of Blangpidie in the
Aceh Barat Daya district in late June and discovered Weni to be
Jannah, their daughter who had gone missing since that tragedy.

The mother said, "My husband and I are very happy. I am so grateful to
God for reuniting us with our child after 10 years of being separated.
My heart beat so fast when I saw her. I hugged her and she hugged me
back and felt so comfortable in my arms."

No comments:

Post a Comment