Wednesday, 13 August 2014

Tavecchio appointment dark day for football - Oliseh

Carlo Tavecchio's appointment as Italian Football Federation president
represents a "dark day for football", says ex-Nigeria player Sunday
Oliseh.

Tavecchio caused controversy during his election campaign by making a
racist comment about some players being "banana eaters".

The 71-year-old has since apologised for his remark.

"To have someone elected who would make such a comment sends a
message: 'We don't care'," Oliseh told BBC Sport.

Tavecchio took 63.63 per cent of the vote in the final round of
polling to beat former AC Milan player Demetrio Albertini.

"That he won the majority of the votes makes you question if this
opinion is only his or whether it is also the opinion of the general
public in Italy," added Oliseh. "It is a big problem.

"The African players in Italy will still have to do their work and
give their best. Some players may want to leave but might not get the
opportunity to do so.

"For years black payers have had to fight against racism just to ply
their trade and it is a situation that is out of hand."

Jeffrey Webb, the head of Fifa's anti-racism taskforce said "the
football community is appalled" by Tavecchio's comment.

And Oliseh, who played in Italy for Reggiana and Juventus, backed the
world governing body to continue "to wage war against racism".

He said, "Fifa is making a big effort to fight racism and I applaud
the steps so far, but more has to be done. It is also up to the
country federations to act.

No comments:

Post a Comment