Wednesday 10 September 2014

My Man Must Be Tall -- Miss Imo State

Background

My name is Samantha Ubani. I am the reigning Miss Imo State. I also
contested for Miss Tourism Nigeria but emerged as Miss Tourism
Photogenic. I am a graduate but yet to go for national youth service.
I studied Education/Chemistry. My father is a pastor.

Pageantry

The Miss Imo competition was tough because young girls from Imo State
are beautiful, bold and intelligent. I did not have the best catwalk
and I was not the most beautiful girl, but it was a combination of
favour from God and hardwork.

Parental support
.
Being a pastor, my father did not initially approve of modelling and
pageantry. Now, I can say it is worth it. I believe in doing things
rightly. He had to accept it because this was what I wanted to do, but
he still has his reservations.

Life before the crown

I smile a lot and I do not find it difficult to do so now that I am a
queen. I am a simple person but I have to be careful of what I say and
what I do.

Life as a queen

The crown signifies royalty and boosts one's carriage and confidence.
It could be inhibiting sometimes because a lot of people expect a lot
from you and when you do not meet up to their expectations, everyone
feels bad.

Pet project

I will be shooting series of documentaries about rape. Also, I will be
acting in a movie just to create more awareness about rape. I choose
to talk about rape because the statistics of molestation in Nigeria is
high, regardless of the gender. Most times, the victims do not speak
out and they do not survive the ordeal because of the psychological
trauma that comes with it. They need someone to speak up for them. The
documentary will be entertaining and educating as well. It will
attract non-governmental organisations with similar objectives to
remedy the situation.

Career plans

I want to further my education in Cosmetics Chemistry so that I can
produce body creams and float a beauty line. It will be a combination
of the beauty industry and pageantry/modelling.

Fame

I am particular with my personal and public life. I get invitations to
events, which I honour, and I stand in front of the camera a lot as
well, but it does not affect the way I see my friends and family that
have been there before I clinched the crown.

Beauty routine

I work out; I do a lot of squats and sit-ups. I also jog sometimes to
keep fit. But I do not like to look skinny. I love to eat garri and
egusi soup.

Relationship with other beauty queens

It is like a sisterhood or network. We all connect with one another,
and when we have personal projects, we involve one another.
Personally, I am a friendly person and I relate with other beauty
queens. We learn from and support one another.

Relationship

That is a personal aspect of my life that I don't want to put out, but
my ideal man must be tall, dark-skinned, soft-spoken, caring,
understanding and shy.

Style

Style, to me, means pulling off your look and being very comfortable
with it. I do not wear earrings because I am an Adventist, but it does
not deter me in any way. I rarely wear accessories. I am already
beautiful and do not need to make it loud. I like to be simple, classy
and comfortable.

Tourism in Nigeria

It is improving because we are learning and we get opportunities to
interact with people from outside the country every day. Much work
needs to be done and there a lot of tourist sites that need to be
improved as well.

Beauty pageants in Nigeria

Different people have different reasons for organising pageants. Some
may be for selfish interests while others have good motives. But I
think there are too many and some should be scrapped.

Life lessons

I have learnt that for every shortcut one takes, you would have to go
back to take double steps. Cutting corners do not pay. Work hard at
what you do and rely on God to bless your efforts.

PUNCH

No comments:

Post a Comment