Sunday 15 March 2015

Merit Of 'Living In Bondage' Fame Reappears In Another Igbo Film

Twenty-one years after she disappeared from the screen, Nnenna
Nwabueze-Okonta who acted Merit in that pioneering movie that gave
birth to what is today known as Nollywood, "Living in Bondage" has
reappeared again. She's featuring in another Igbo film titled, " Ndi
Gbo Ochie"(Primitive) which they are currently shooting in Asaba, the
Delta State capital.

HVPcaught up with her during the week, while she was on set. She
explained that she returned to the industry since last year after her
family relocated to Asaba from the United States. According to her,
since she returned, she has featured in more than four films.

Speaking on why she's using another Igbo film to relaunch her career,
Merit said, "It is the love I have for my language and culture that
drives me because there is nobody without a culture. Besides, I read
sometime ago where UNESCO said that Igbo language will soon go into
extinction and I find it very scary. How can my language disappear
from the face of the earth?

So, I have to contribute my own quota even if it means I have to shoot
Igbo films. Somebody actually called me and asked why I am shooting
another Igbo movie again; that people are saying that I left the movie
industry because I cannot speak English, and that I am not educated
enough. I said, well, if that is what people are saying, I don't mind.

But I know that I have a Masters Degree. After I left UNIPORT, I
studied Environmental Education; I did my masters in Administration
and Planning. So, I don't know why they are saying that I act Igbo
films because I cannot speak English. That is not true anyway; it is
just because I love anything Igbo, and anytime they call me for
something like that, I am willing to go and do it.

The film is so wonderful; the producer gave me the script and I read
it. He later asked me what I thought about it; and I told him that the
script is wonderful and I would like to work with him." Starring the
likes of Chioma Chukwuka, Ella, Toni Fredrick Okoli, among other
actors, " "Primitive"is produced by the duo of Iyke Odife and Emmanuel
Odife. Look out for the full interview next week.
--Vanguard

No comments:

Post a Comment