Wednesday 17 June 2015

Stop Picking On Me For Locking You Up, I Was Also Locked Up —President Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari wants Nigerians who were locked up during
his tenure as military dictator to stop complaining because he was
also locked up.

President Buhari made the comment while meeting with Nigeriaans in South Africa.

According to THE CABLE, the President said, ''This is my first time of
attending these types of meetings (AU) and they go on and on until
about 1 in the morning. And then you are supposed to start in the
morning again. Everybody is repeating what the other speaker has said
instead of to keep their mouth shut. Anyways, it is a great
experience.

''I have listened to the address paraphrased by the counsel-general,
I'm pleased that wherever Nigerians are whether in South Africa or
Saudi Arabia or Europe or Alaska for that matter, you'll make an
impact both positive and negative. There is no way 160 million people
or more cannot make impact wherever they are. We have so many cultures
and nationalities.

''At a point I was very frightened; don't know how many of you kept
records. I was afraid Nigeria might be like Somalia. The Somalis are
the same people; they are all Muslims but because the elites are
self-centered, selfish, they have succeeded to make Somalia a war
country for the last 20 years.

''For that reason, I said Nigerians are much more vulnerable, we have
so many nationalities no matter how you look at it, Hausa-Fulanis,
Kanuris, Ishekiris, Yorubas, Igbos. We are actually people of
different cultures but since 1914, we have merged in spite of religion
and culture, married across, produce children and only crazy people
can think of balkanising Nigeria. But we are not short of crazy people
that is the frightening part of it.

''But I assure you that after being in the military for 25 years, and
getting to the highest rank and becoming head of state and under
unusual circumstances. As head of state, I went straight to detention
for three and half years so those who accused me of locking them up, I
too have been locked up, so what?''.
—Nigerian Bulletin

No comments:

Post a Comment